Thinning Fabri-Tac

Ask here about costuming , making wings , eyes etc.....

Thinning Fabri-Tac

Postby Jules_NZ on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm

I just found this information on Frabri-tac, and the line about thinning it intersted me. I have always found it too thick to work with, and I have seen others post as such

So I thought I would try this out on the doll I am about to wig today, and will let everyone know how it goes

HELPFUL HINTS
• Poke a hole in applicator tip with a large paper clip to release a more precise line of glue. To cover larger surfaces, snip tip near top.
• Apply a small amount of Vaseline to top of dispensing tip to reduce stringing.
• Always keep top covered to prevent evaporation. If red tip is lost, just cover the bottle opening with plastic wrap and replace cap to prevent glue from drying out.
• Thin with acetone. Do NOT use nail polisher remover as it may discolor glue.Add acetone drop by drop, stirring, until desired consistency is achieved.
• Never use fine furniture as a work surface even if protected as the acetone fumes will attack the finish.
• Make sure all work surfaces are properly covered when using.
• Pre-wash all fabrics to remove sizing before applying glue. Sizing prevents glue from thoroughly penetrating fibers. Some metallic threaded fabrics might require two washings.
• Not suitable for applying patches to fabrics as patches have a coating on back that prevents glue from absorbing into the fibers.
• Dry clean to remove glue from garments. Depending on fabric and how much glue was used, more than one cleaning may be necessary.
• Glue is designed to bond to the top fibers of the fabric and should not be "pushed" into the garment as stiffening will result.
• Flammable only when wet and should never be applied near an open flame. Once dried, there is no danger of flammability.
• Always use with proper ventilation.
• Not suitable for use on Hook & Loop, denier nylon, or very sheer and delicate fabrics where glue might soak through.
• Glue dries very fast. Work in small 1-3" areas to prevent glue from drying too rapidly.
• If glue separates after washing, garment was not properly pre-washed to remove sizing, glue was allowed to dry before adhering, surface did not allow glue to penetrate fibers.
Jules_NZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thinning Fabri-Tac

Postby PixieKnoll on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Very good information, Jules. I had thought I read some place before that you could use acetone to "thin" out fabritac, but I have never tried it myself. Let us know how you make out with this.

Hugs,
Lori
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
http://www.thepixieknoll.com
http://www.pixieknoll.etsy.com
http://thepixieknoll.blogspot.com
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Linda Ehrenfried on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:03 pm

i tried adding acetone to fabric tac once and glitter. i put it in a syringe and made a huge mess, The glue was coming out fine until I hit the glitter. I pushed to hard trying to get the glitter to come out and completely covered my doll in glue and glitter. I will try this again without the glitter. It did make the glue thin enough to make very thin lines and it seemed to slow the drying time a hair. But once the glitter vomit happened I ended up dressing the little fairy and calling it a day. Great tips Jules, Thank you.
Morphing a ball of clay and wire into something beautiful is magical. It puts a bright light in my heart to see what my otherwise clumsy hands have created.
Linda Ehrenfried
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby rosalin on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I added acetone to thin my fabric-tac, after use left it (cap was on and sealed) for few days...acetone evaporated and it is now more thicker than ever.

Lesson : dont add acetone to whole bottle...lol...
rosalin
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby Jules_NZ on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:40 am

It certainly did help to thin down the Fabri-Tac
I put some into a cup and added the acetone, then spent a bit of time mixing till I got a thick gooey syrup
But the acetone does evaporate quite quickly so you cant muck around with it
And as Rosalin said, I wouldn't recommend adding it to the whole bottle

On the whole though it was sill very difficult to work with
And I think Tacky glue is much easier to work with, so I will only use Fabri-tac for material, and tacky glue for hair
At least I will know for sure if my tacky glue is strong enough when I test my doll I just wigged tomorrow morning
Jules_NZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Maggie on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 am

Great information Jules thank you. I will try the acetone as thinner and see.
Maggie

Postby phairee004 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:56 am

i love acetone! well not like love it like i want to marry it. but i use it for many OOPSIES that i have like paint and stuff.
i buy the kind you can find by the nail polish. i never really thought about using it to thin out the fabri-tac .
i use glass baby jars for anytime i use acetone. so i think it would survive in there.
i bought a lot of curved plastic irrigation syringes and i put the glue in there. i also use the syringes to push out all the bubbles in fimo gel when i try to do the eyes.

thanks so much for the great tips jules : )

team maggie!!!

“We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly”~sam keen
phairee004
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Return to General Q & A