Free Class on tiny crochet fairy mary jane shoes

If you would like to give a class of any kind please list it here! And in advance Thank You!!!!!!!

Free Class on tiny crochet fairy mary jane shoes

Postby Tenderspirit on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:38 pm

I am going to start a crochet class. The first project is going to be a pair of tiny fairy MaryJanes or a tiny pair of 1 inch tiny doll shoes. I know that you all pay an enormous amoung of money for the tiny shoes for the little dolls. I helped one of our artist buy 4 or 5 pairs and by the time it was reshipped internationally they were about 38.00 I believe. Ouch.
So I decided I will create a pattern for them and they can be made for about 50 cents maximum per pair. Granted you will have to buy your string and it is more than 50 cents but one ball of string will make tons of pairs of tiny shoes. If I can figure out how to do it perhaps I can create a pattern that will actually use sewing thread (say maybe using 5 strands at a time) I will work on this and see what I can come up with for you. I will also take suggestions if there is something else you would like me to create a pattern for, for fairies or small dolls. And will help with any crochet questions that I can. I will have to go pull out a pattern though and familarize myself with it, LOL, as I don't like to crochet using a pattern I like to just create my own as I go along, LOL so will have to make sure I am using the right terms for those of you that know how to follow a pattern. For those of you that do not I will just write it out so that you can follow it and will also do a drawing of it so that you do not have to read the pattern you can look at a picture instead. Big Hugs and this will be fun. :dance:
Tenderspirit
Okay: I finished the tiny Mary Janes for a fairy. These little shoes took me about 10 to 15 minutes to make and used just a tiny bit of number 10 thread. I made them pink so you could see the stiches better.
Please let me know who is interested by posting in this thread below mine. If we keep it all in this thread others may jump in later and learn too.

You can click on the pictures below to get a larger more clear picture.
I used Lindaloo's toddler to show you what the little shoe will look like on a tiny fairy.

I would not start by making these black. They are very tiny and black and navy blue thread is very hard to use when making something this small. I would use lighter colors to make you first couple of pairs until you get familar with the pattern. You can also glue a tiny piece of nogahyde or leather on the bottom of the shoe for a soul. I did not have time yet to do so but I will and will post the picture here below these so that you might see what it look like. I will help you in any way I can. If you would like to make the shoe bigger then I will post instructions for several sizes. When you get to row 2 push the piece so the inside is out it will be easier to work with. You can tell what side is the outside by the stiches on the right side, or outside, the top will have little V stiches like you see on the top of my shoes. I will add some WIP pictures for you also and when I can I will also draw some pictures too.

Here is the way I made them. Each row go in back loop only.
Row 1: Chain 6, Row 2: single crochet in the second chain from the hook and the next 4, then single crochet in the back side of your chain down the other side one in each of the 5 backside loops. you will have a total of 10 single crochets. Slip stich in 1st single crochet . chain 2
Row 3 : Half double crochet in each single crochet you will have a total of 10 Half double crochets ( to half double crochet, loop you string over one time, grab your thread, then pull the thread through all three loops) it is like making a double crochet only you pull it through all three instead of 2, then 2.)
Row 4: chain 2, then do a cluster stich in the next 4 stiches (to do a cluster stich loop your thread over once, insert the hook in the next half double crochet and grab your thread with the hook and pull through only two loops on your hook leaving one still on the hook) then yarn over and insert in the next half double crochet, grab your thread with the hook, and Pull through only two loops again leaving another one on the hook.) by the time you do all 4 you will have 5 loops left on the hook, grab your thread with the hook and pull the thread through all 5 at one time. Chain two, Then slipstich in the next half double crochet. Slip stich in the next one also.
Row 5: chain either 4 or 5 for the strap. Slip stich to connect strap on the opposite side about one stich from the cluster stich. (Look at my picture.)
That is it shoe is made.
Use size 8 crochet hook and size 10 thread. Size 10 is a tiny bit thinner than kite string. In fact you may use kite string if you would like, also if you use a bigger metal crochet hook it will make a bigger shoe.
You may want to try this shoe first as it is bigger and easier to do. it comes out about 1 inch long and not quite 1/2 inch wide when smashed down.
Row 1: You may also play with it by chaining say maybe 10 instead of 6
Row 2: you will have 9 single crochets on each side a total of 18
Row 3 and Row 4: you will have 9 half double crochets on each side total of 18
(you might want to repeat row 3 so you have two rows of half double crochet to make the shoe a bit taller on the sides at that size.) before doing Row 5 the clusters, slip stich in the next 6 stiches then do the two cluster stiches below
Row 5: For the cluster you will want to do a cluster stich in 4 stiches, then another cluster stich in 4 stiches, to make the top of the toe. Chain two.
slip stich in the next 2 stiches
chain 4 or 5 for your strap then attach with a slip stich to opposit side.

Cut two tiny souls for your shoe, make sure to cut both of them so they match. Also make an extra one so you have it for a pattern for your next pair.
Here are the pictures of the bigger pair with a grey shiney piece of cardboard I cut from a box like a cereal box

I made one using a F needle and yarn will post the picture soon so you can see how much larger it turned out with regular yarn.

Please let me know below if there is anything in the instructions that you cannot follow.
Tenderspirit
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Free Class on tiny crochet fairy mary jane shoes

Postby Moonstar on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Those are so cute, I wish I could understand crochet, Ive tried it, I bought a book, read it front to back... my mind just doesnt want to work that way :P I may try this tho.... See if I cant give it another try, I do knit... sometimes :P

Ill keep checking here for more pointers, who knows, someone may have the trick that helps me understand lol
"For life is experience, and longevity is, in the end, measured by memory, and those with a
thousand tales to tell have indeed lived longer than any who embrace the mundane."-Drizzt Do'Urden
Moonstar
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby lies on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 am

They are so beautifully made. When I was younger I crochet a lot, but it has een a while. maybe I have to try.
lies
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Tiny Wonders on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm

I thought French was difficult! I will print off and ask my Mum to explain the lingo when I visit this summer.

I'd like to be able to dress my posable dolls, so I'll give crochet a go.

Thankyou,
Nia
Tiny Wonders
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby carota72 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Elsie, your little shoes are adorable... I can't believe you make them in only 10-15 minutes!!! You are great!
carota72

Postby *enchanted_faerieland* on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 am

Beautiful shoes, i´d like to have the hability to make them, but crochet, mmm my hands are not as good with that ;( by the way, thanks for the tut Elsie.
Gaby

Hugs from Jalisco, Mexico ^^

A.Gabriela Z.Rodriguez - AGZR*STUDIOS on ebay
Find me in facebook: http://es-la.facebook.com/agzrstudios
reach me at deviantart http://agzr-studios.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*enchanted_faerieland*
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Tenderspirit on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:08 am

You are welcome but I am willing to help in any way I can too if anyone needs help to make these little shoes. I made some clothes too just have not had a chance to post them. Too many irons in the fire. LOL
Big hugs Tenderspirit
Tenderspirit
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Free Classes and Mentoring