Princess and the pea WIP - just a final picture

Post your work here to get honest critiques and suggestions.

Princess and the pea WIP - just a final picture

Postby Natalie on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi all :wave:
Only a few days left... I hope that during all the frantic Christmas preparation you also find time to relax and enjoy your loved ones and the time of the year.

My muse and inspiration was just gone for a while. This year is so tough for so many people I know and love. I really hope that next year will be kinder to all of us.

However... a while ago I tried myself on a laughing face and finally I got myself up to start the body. This is going to be my interpretation of the Princess and the pea :-D . I'm not so sure about the head, especially the mouth and I tend to do a new one because the laugh doesn't look real enough. What do you think?
Thanks for looking and please let me know honestly how do you think about the laughing face.

Last edited by Natalie on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We've got to get in to get out"
Natalie
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Re: Princess and the pea WIP

Postby Dezhire on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:40 am

OMG! Natalie, I LOVE HER!!!!!! I think her mouth is fantastic!!!!! I just can't even wait to see her finished.... :crazy:
Dezhire
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 am

Wow! Natalie, she is really like OMG AWESOME!! You have made such an expressive face with this one....and she is genuinely very happy too.

I think for me, a laughing expression would have a mouth that is opened. Could be opened a lot, or just a little and some "crow's feet" at the eye corners to show real merriment, and also for me, I think about the thickness of the eyelid below the eye. Sometimes, the under eyelid will be more swollen. But, keep in mind, a lot of this depends on the age of the character, and how happy you are creating it to be. But, there are still those gentle nuances that show up no matter what the age is of the character in question.

Anyway, even with my thoughts there on all that, I think she is an extremely happy lady to finally have that pea out from under her back side! And, truthfully, I think this face fits perfectly with what you are seeking to accomplish. I would keep with this face and slap some nice blonde hair on top of her head! She's going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see her all finished up. <3

Love and hugs,
Lori
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
http://www.thepixieknoll.com
http://www.pixieknoll.etsy.com
http://thepixieknoll.blogspot.com
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Natalie on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 am

Thank you so much Amy and Lori!!! :spin:
No wonder that she is so happy... she just got herself a kingdom :-D

Lori, I tried to make the lower eyelid thicker but somehow it doesn't show in the foto. I know about the crow feet... but I wanted to try it first without them :mrgreen:. But you know what? I think maybe when I add a little to the lower lid and flat out the lower line a bit more... that could do the trick. I just try it and show you next week.

Thank you so much and Happy Holidays!!
Natalie
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby Sharon-nz on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 am

I think shes wonderful :cheer: :cheer:
Sharon-nz
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Postby Linda Ehrenfried on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Her face is gorgeous and I see another magnificent body is on its way. Looking forward to seeing her finished.
Morphing a ball of clay and wire into something beautiful is magical. It puts a bright light in my heart to see what my otherwise clumsy hands have created.
Linda Ehrenfried
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Natalie on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Thank you Sharon and Linda :-D And a Happy New Year 2011 to all of you! :flower:

Here is a little update. I worked a little bit on her face, especially on her nose. Actually I cut her nose off and made it a little bit smaller. I never did something like that before and cost me some sweat :wink: but it worked nicely, I think. Sculpting is done, now I have to sand her etc and work on her little bed and all the cusions and mattrazes... and she still needs the pea. :-D Hope you like her so far. Thanks for looking.

Natalie
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Natalie, she is remarkably wonderful! I love it! It is going to be beautiful once she is completed! I'm running for my popcorn!

Hugs,
Lori
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby rosalin on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 pm

WOW!!! thats one tricky pose to get right...must have been hard...I really truly impressed about the way you got it so natural looking :)
by any chance did you take any in between pics while sculpting? if not can you explain how you went about it...i am guessing you series baked it.
very good job indeed!! cant wait to see it complete :)
rosalin
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby carota72 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 am

OMG, Natalie!!! I wish my smiling faces were so GOOD!!! Terrific job on her! Love the mouse, the nose, that AMAZING body!!! (I want a body like thaaaaaaattttt!!!!
carota72

Postby jadine on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 am

She's absolutely PERFECT!
Jadine
Image GET WELL SOON DEAR MAGGIE!
jadine
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Dezhire on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:34 am

OMG, Natalie!!! She is just incredible! I can't even imagine a pose like that...she is just wonderful!
Dezhire
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Whispers on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 pm

I Love this! So Much expresion in her face. Can't wait to see her finished!
From My Hands to Your Heart !
Whispers
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Princess and the pea WIP - update 1/13

Postby Natalie on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi all!
Thank you so much for your comments, they all mean a lot to me!

Lori, I hope you weren't eating popcorn all the time :-D

Dyvia... no way for me to sculpt this in one piece... maybe in a couple of years :-D I did the feet first, then one leg after the other. Here is a pic

In the meantime I changed my plans about the bed, it was just to big. A smaller one is still in the works. But the sculpt is almost done, just some glueing and retouching. Here are some pictures, sorry for the overexposed pictures... I still need my hubby for adjusting the camera ... Hope you like her and thanks for looking!

Natalie
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby rosalin on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 pm

thats a brilliant idea Natalie :) thanks so much for sharing it!!
she looks great..i m still really amazed with the pose..so natural looking...great job indeed!!
rosalin
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Natalie.....she is AWESOME! I love every single detail about her. Absolutely gorgeous piece of work. This is such a strong character, that it didn't matter if she were sitting on top of a bunch of mattresses or on the back of a chicken...she is just wonderful! She has such a wonderful expression. I REALLY love this piece a lot. All of your work has been wonderful, but I think this character, no matter what she ended up as, was going to be super fantastic. I knew that much in the beginning.

Hugs,
Lori
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Dezhire on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 am

WHOA! Natalie, she is so fun! I love her purple hair and her wings are so beautiful!
I am just in awe of her pose....*sigh* I will never be able to make my sculpts look so natural.
LOVE HER hun!
Dezhire
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:42 am

Gosh, I just had to come back and look at her....she is just tooooooo wonderful! I'm with Amy, I don't think I could ever make mine look that realistic. She's gorgeous!
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Re: Princess and the pea WIP - update 01/13

Postby Natalie on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Lori, Dyvia and Amy, thank you so much for your kind words. Her bed will take a moment, because I still have to finish two more sculpts I started for the IDEX a while back. However, if the bed is not finished in time I still have the chicken she can sit on... Lori, I'm still smiling about that.
The two other sculpts will be a crazy last minute action. I guess I can be happy if I can finish one of them. I really hate that but I evolved into a master of procrastination and my inspiration is pretty much downhill. At the moment my family is one big disaster. After my dad passed away in summer, now in December my father in law was also diagnosed with cancer and is in a really bad shape. The rest of the family is divorcing... and maybe me too. I really don't know how I could get out this laughing face... maybe it was just the desire for a good laugh :-D Thanks again for your nice words. I really appreciate.
Natalie
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby Tenderspirit on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:05 am

Awe Nat I am sooooo sorry to hear all of the things that have hit you so quickly. Just know we are all here and I will go into the party room with you any time you need to talk. Will keep your father in law in my prayers, and pray too that God will help you through this transition. Me leaving Ron was one of the best things I ever did for myself, and I am soooooooooooooo much happier and mentally healthier once I got through the process.

She is just gorgeous in every way her eyes are so beautiful, the pose and body to die for. Big Hugs Tenderspirit
Tenderspirit
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby PixieKnoll on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:53 am

Natalie,

Did you know that I love you? <3 You, are a dear, sweet and wonderful person. Never, ever forget that.....even if you are stuck riding on the back of a chicken! If you EVER need someone to talk to, please, please, PLEASE, come and find me. I am always here for you. <3 <3 xoxoxoxo <3 <3

Hugs and love,
Lori
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Whispers on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 pm

She turnes out GREAT! What a difficut pose, Fantasic work! Sorry to hear of a your family troubles. I guess we all have things in the background of your lives! Hang in there, I feel your pain! It Helps to share doesn't it! I'll be thinking about you! Hang in there!
Hugs!
Cathy
From My Hands to Your Heart !
Whispers
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Moonlightdancer on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 am

Sorry to hear of any troubles Nat! That aside I love her personality the character in her spreads to each of us. It sure made me
smile! Love her face, body the pose, and the character of it all really nice work!!! <3

( Moon
Moonlightdancer
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Postby IrisB on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Natalie,

The doll is beautiful. I love her face, body and pose. She is great head to toe.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I just wanted to say that when there are hardships in the family it may start to crumble with everyone fighting and pulling apart but after the hardships are over things may go back to being more normal and sane. That is what I am hoping for you.

Iris
To clay is to dream.
IrisB
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Maggie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Natalie, she is just stunning. Like Lori I keep coming back to her to look at her. I am so sorry for your troubles sweetheart and hopefully with the new year, things will start to look up for you and your family.
Maggie

Postby Sharon-nz on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Natalie wrote:Lori, Dyvia and Amy, thank you so much for your kind words. Her bed will take a moment, because I still have to finish two more sculpts I started for the IDEX a while back. However, if the bed is not finished in time I still have the chicken she can sit on... Lori, I'm still smiling about that.
The two other sculpts will be a crazy last minute action. I guess I can be happy if I can finish one of them. I really hate that but I evolved into a master of procrastination and my inspiration is pretty much downhill. At the moment my family is one big disaster. After my dad passed away in summer, now in December my father in law was also diagnosed with cancer and is in a really bad shape. The rest of the family is divorcing... and maybe me too. I really don't know how I could get out this laughing face... maybe it was just the desire for a good laugh :-D Thanks again for your nice words. I really appreciate.

Sharon-nz
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Re: Princess and the pea WIP - just a final picture

Postby Natalie on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Awww... you are all so great people and I am so glad to be part of this group. Thank you all for your encouraging words. Usually I don't get shaken like this so fast but then there is a lot of bad situations coming together in the little family I have left. Considering all what happend I almost feel happy just to deal with a breaking marriage. This is at least something I might be able to work on. Others don't have that much luck.

I just bring this post up for one more time because wanted to say this and also show the final pic of my princess. Instead of the bed what got too voluminous I just gave her some cushions to sit on and put all these on the lower part of a nice looking resin candy box. Hope you like it!

Natalie
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby Sharon-nz on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:32 am

WOW just awesome :jaw: :jaw:
Sharon-nz
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Postby Amanda_DeVirgilio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:16 pm

WOW love it love it love it! I hate sculpting smiles, they are really tricky. You've done such a wonderful job! You should be really proud of what you've created, especially amongst problems.
Amanda DeVirgilio
http://www.dollmakersdream.com

Beware of the Gogglesnorks. They mess with your clay.
Amanda_DeVirgilio
Fledgling Poster
Fledgling Poster

Postby *enchanted_faerieland* on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:34 am

Awww how in the world I missed this wonderful wip? I have to agree with Amanda, smiles are very tricky to make and yours is perfect, you did a super excelent job Natalie, beautiful!
Gaby

Hugs from Jalisco, Mexico ^^

A.Gabriela Z.Rodriguez - AGZR*STUDIOS on ebay
Find me in facebook: http://es-la.facebook.com/agzrstudios
reach me at deviantart http://agzr-studios.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*enchanted_faerieland*
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Tiny Wonders on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Perfect, I love all your sculpts, hope things get better for you soon.
hugs,
Nia
x
Tiny Wonders
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Return to Honest Critiques