Digital Wing Tutorial

Wing tutorial only please do not post
questions here

Digital Wing Tutorial

Postby breelynsfae on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 am

I have made a new wing tutorial on how to create OOAK digital wings in ten steps. It can be downloaded in PDF form at http://breelynfae.com/Freewingtut.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I was feeling particularly inspired this weekend and wanted to share this with everyone:

I found this quote recently:

"All things are artificial, for nature is the art of God."

~Thomas Browne

It really made me think about art in general and sculpting in particular. All any artist (except abstract, I suppose) can do is view what nature has given us and try to reproduce it either with or without our own modifications. Not that I'm complaining--God has provided an endless bounty of visual pleasure. Whether it is the delicate configuration of a butterfly wing, or the hardiest mountain range, there is always beauty and art to be found in nature. I suppose the best that any artist can hope for is to bring as much beauty and inspiration to our fellow man through their work as nature has brought to them.

Just my two cents.

~Bree
breelynsfae
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Digital Wing Tutorial

Postby hwest on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Thank you for the tuturial, and the quote!
hwest
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm

breelynsfae,

Those butterfly wing images you have for sale on your website originated from my Butterfly Wing Creator CD-rom, they are just a different colour.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby breelynsfae on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I used the exact same technique on each of the wings I have for sale on my site as I used in my tutorial. :) It actually doesn't matter where the original came from: websites, photographs, your cd rom, graphics, etc. Once it has been changed so drastically, it is a different OOAK creation. As you can see from my tutorial, the finished image bears nearly no resemblance to the original image except for the fact that it is a Monarch's wing shape and markings. It certainly can't be mistaken for anyone else's artistic effort, or--LOL--for a naturally occurring butterfly! Sorry for any confusion on that point and from what I have seen, your wings are very true-to-life and inspirational. They are so realistic that you can really tell what subfamily of butterfly is being represented by the image. Very nice. :)
breelynsfae
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Toneth on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 am

You said "I used the exact same technique on each of the wings I have for sale on my site as I used in my tutorial."

I beg to differ. The images on the left are just a few of my original images created for the butterfly wing creator CD-rom, most of them actually consist of two wings merged and twisted together in order to create a unique and original design. If you look closely you can see where my wings merge together.

On the right are a few of your exact copies from the wings you have for sale, with a slight hue change.

Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby breelynsfae on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Ah, I understand now and I can see why you think that. The origin of the wings I have for sale I found on a google search, and they were blank--black and white outlines of various butterflies. I found them about a year and half or so ago on a webpage for kids to print out and color butterflies. They had about 50 or so different outlines, and I right-clicked and saved. Then I added different colors and changed the textures of some. Now I see that the wing outlines I used came from the same source you got yours from. Sorry for the confusion, you thought I took your wings and just changed the color. No, no...I got these wing outlines elsewhere and added color to them, that's all. I wasn't trying to copy you, guess I just had the same idea at a different time. :)

~Bree
breelynsfae
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Toneth on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Actually there are 50 blank black and white wings on the butterfly wing creator CD-rom, but you know that already because you have a copy, I remember you telling me in an email. You also keep changing your story about where you got your wings.

The image I uploaded speaks for itself. You can clearly see from the images that you have just changed the hue from my originals.

And the black and white wing images were produced from my original coloured wing images by using the “Threshold” option in photoshop and if you had just coloured in the black and white wings then your copies would all have black outlines and no shading in the colour.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby breelynsfae on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:23 pm

I honestly did find them on google, I have never said different. And yes, I have had a copy of your PDF butterflies for about 4 or 5 days now--I make no secret of that. But your black and white images are not the same ones I found through google. This is a sample of the images I found and worked from:

Here is your black and white:

Here is your colored:

Here is mine:

Here I have tried to change the hue on yours to make it look like mine

Not quite, so I changed some saturation

Then I tried hue and red photo filter

Then I used hue and red photo filter and lightening the green color with color replacement

I cannot get it to look like mine, but I can get it very close. So I admit it, I'm not that good at photoshop. :sad: I took the black and white image I got from google (above), added some color to it and shaded it...that's it, not so fancy. Whether the photos I found on that website back in 2007 were ones you created or created from, I can't say because I don't know which of you came first. I am not trying to insult you or anything--I'm just telling you what I did. I don't think it is very fair for you to accuse me of slighting you when I didn't even know you existed until about two weeks ago, and have had the wings on my site for sale for almost a year. I am not trying to slight you, I am sure you are a fine artist, I am just trying to color some wings to be sold and used for fairies. That's all, nothing more.
breelynsfae
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Toneth on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 pm

The top image is just a copy of my original coloured image, and then de-saturated of colour.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Tenderspirit on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:54 am

I am locking this thread. I believe each artist has posted their points and I don't want this to get ugly. I hope you both understand. Please do not open this topic again as I will have to delete it.
Hugs Tenderspirit
Tenderspirit
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Wing Tutorials