Fly-away Skirts!

Ask here about costuming , making wings , eyes etc.....

Fly-away Skirts!

Postby Moonstar on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Ok, I am in need of some help...

I need my sculpts clothing to STAY where I want them.
I dont want to make them stiff, I would just like them to drape where they should and not fluff out like a ball gown on crack!

Any one able to help??
"For life is experience, and longevity is, in the end, measured by memory, and those with a
thousand tales to tell have indeed lived longer than any who embrace the mundane."-Drizzt Do'Urden
Moonstar
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Re: Fly-away Skirts!

Postby rosalin on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:21 pm

I would like to know the answere too, i have many ideas in my mind where clothing plays important role but i cant figure out how to make it stay the way i want it to.
rosalin
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby Dezhire on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:55 am

A ball gown on crack....LMAOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I wish I had the answer because I could use less fluffy crack-induced dresses, too.
Dezhire
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 am

I think I know what you are talking about where you get the ball gown on crack scenario. If I'm assuming correctly, the problem comes at the waist line where the fabric is gathered up at the top. You want a lot of fabric on the ground floor, but the poofy waistline is the problem? If this is the case...to decrease the amount of fabric at the waistline and still have a good amount flowing at the bottom, just cut out a triangular shape at the waistline (the bottom of the triangle at the top of the waist, and the point going downward to the floor), then, sew them shut once you have removed the triangle shape. This will decrease the amount of fabric on the waist, but still leave you a good amount for the floor length. And, the seams that were stitched will hide in the folds nicely.

Another thing you can try is place a nice bit of wire inside a tubing in the fabric. You can then make the fabric appear to be flowing out in the wind if you like. Or, use ribbon that has the wire in it. :-)

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Lori
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
http://www.thepixieknoll.com
http://www.pixieknoll.etsy.com
http://thepixieknoll.blogspot.com
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 am

I think I know what you are talking about where you get the ball gown on crack scenario. If I'm assuming correctly, the problem comes at the waist line where the fabric is gathered up at the top. You want a lot of fabric on the ground floor, but the poofy waistline is the problem? If this is the case...to decrease the amount of fabric at the waistline and still have a good amount flowing at the bottom, just cut out a triangular shape at the waistline (the bottom of the triangle at the top of the waist, and the point going downward to the floor), then, sew them shut once you have removed the triangle shape. This will decrease the amount of fabric on the waist, but still leave you a good amount for the floor length. And, the seams that were stitched will hide in the folds nicely.

Another thing you can try is place a nice bit of wire inside a tubing in the fabric. You can then make the fabric appear to be flowing out in the wind if you like. Or, use ribbon that has the wire in it. :-)

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Lori
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
http://www.thepixieknoll.com
http://www.pixieknoll.etsy.com
http://thepixieknoll.blogspot.com
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Dezhire on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 am

Ahhhh, thanks Lori....see I knew someone would be able to help!!!!
Dezhire
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Linda Ehrenfried on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 pm

You can also use a round skirt. I find they lay very nicely but give me a nice full look. cut out a large circle in the fabric you want to use. It should be twice the length of your dolls body from waist to heel plus the width of the dolls waist itself. SO a 12" sculpt is going to use about a 14" wide circle(for a floor lenght but you can adjust it according to the finished lenght you want). Cut an x dead center in the middle of the fabric and cut each wedge in half. Some people cut out a circle but I find it makes the fabric bunch upmore, Slide your doll into the hole upside down so the fabric has its right side toward the face and gather it around the dolls upper torso allowing the cut pieces (middle of the circle) to be just below the waist. take a piece of fabric and put it arounb the waist before you add the skirt. (about an inch wide usually. It should look like a tight belt but be easily turned and not glued to the body itself. It will keep the glue off her body so if you want to adjust it you can without starting over. Start glueing the pointed pieces to the belt in the upside down position that they are hangin in. overlapping them to pull the fabric close to the body and allow then to be perfectly flat. When you have this done and once the glue dries, release the fabric from around the torso. It will turn right side out and lay pretty close to the body. You can add a corset to flatten it even more or you can just add another line of glue to the underside of the fabric just at the waist on this side of the belt and glue it to the belt again pushing the fabric flat as you go and laying in loose pleats. You get a full skirt with less fabric volume at the waist. And it hangs nicely. It is spectacular in silk. Some farics though no matter what you do they will be poofy so make sure you choose finer fabrics that already drape nicely. Silk is my favorite but there are many silk like fabrics that are not as transparent. Poyester for example is nice for draping without bunching. More sewing involved but the v cuts but it does remove bulk. I went to the fabric store and bought some dress patterns they are the wrong scale obviously but It was helpfull just seeing how they are supposed to go together.
Morphing a ball of clay and wire into something beautiful is magical. It puts a bright light in my heart to see what my otherwise clumsy hands have created.
Linda Ehrenfried
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby rosalin on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 am

Linda thanks :) I think that info is going to be very useful to me too :)
rosalin
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Return to General Q & A