acrilic paint question

Ask here about airbrushing , oil painting and everything about painting polymer dolls

acrilic paint question

Postby caza5 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:33 pm

my next sculpt i think is going to be a mermaid when i have done the tail i was going to paint it with acrilic pearlised paint then add the liquid fimo would this be ok or would it do somthing to it when i baked again :gaze: or do u just have to use pearl ex for it caza xx
caza5
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Re: acrilic paint question

Postby kie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 am

I've not used pearlIzed acrylic paints but have used ordinary acrylic paints and covered them with a thin coat of transparent liquid sculpey and baked it, and it's always seemed fine.

Would probably be a good idea to test this on some scrap clay first though! :wink:
kie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Linda Ehrenfried on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm

You can do both but the acrylic doesn't stick to the polymer well especially when it is thick. I have mixed it into the TLS with great success and also have used the pearlex powder and mixed it into the TLS it is very durable and will not chip off or scratch. Problem is painting over the acrylic with TLS your not actually making contact with the polymer and if the paint lets go of the surface at some future date the tls will peel off like a banana skin and all over not just in one place. I had it happen once when I first started sculpting and never did it that way again.
Morphing a ball of clay and wire into something beautiful is magical. It puts a bright light in my heart to see what my otherwise clumsy hands have created.
Linda Ehrenfried
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby caza5 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:33 am

thanks girls xx
caza5
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Return to Painting Q & A