How many of you want a cure ?
97%
How many of you are not bothered ?
3%

Total votes : 29

The WAR on dirt & lint - 99.9% CURED !

Postby Toneth on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 am

Started this on another forum but thought I would also post here

OK, I for one hate dirt and lint with a passion.

I dust and clean every day in and around my sculpting area, wash my hands to the point where people think I suffer with OCD, where a flesh coloured cotton shirt, knead a piece of scrap clay before I start sculpting, etc etc etc..... The list of precautions go's on.

But no matter what I do I still end up using my prickly lady finger tool to constantly remove dust and lint. I especially hate it when some dirt or lint lands on something delicate like a lip or eye lid

SO... I declared WAR on dirt and lint and am in the process of inventing a weapon of MASS destruction ! :grin:

WATCH THIS SPACE - a cure is imminent :)
Last edited by Toneth on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: The WAR on dirt & lint - POLL

Postby Dezhire on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 am

I HATE DUST! Praying for a "cure"...LOL.
Dezhire
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Linda Ehrenfried on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:53 am

I do all of that and have a air purifier right next to my sculpting table. I have moved my fabric and hair tables to the other side of the room. I painted the walls, I laid vinyl flooring over top of my carpet. All to keep down dust. NOTHING stops it. It is my demon, I just know it. It never fails to end up on the face. I have started my series baking of the face the second it is done even if the back of the head is shaped funny. I leave it to small on purpose. I add the back of the head later along with the neck, otherwise i end up with lint on it. I make sure that I enough head to have any potential color change be behind the hair line. I even tried to use the heat gun to set areas of the body as I went along to cure the clay so the body wouldn't collect dust but I ended up with really bad cracks and had it ended up looking like frankenstein. Which would have been Ok if it was for halloween. LOL I will be on pins and needles waiting. Good luck.
Morphing a ball of clay and wire into something beautiful is magical. It puts a bright light in my heart to see what my otherwise clumsy hands have created.
Linda Ehrenfried
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 am

Linda...

I feel your pain, I too series bake partly for the same reason "DUST and LINT" :mad:

But never fear, I have a plan ! A concept that I am working on and will be putting into practice and testing in the next week or so. I am confident it will reduce the amount of dust and lint landing on your work by 99.9%
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:37 am

:cheer: Tony, Tony, he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can! :cheer:

:eyebrows:
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
http://www.thepixieknoll.com
http://www.pixieknoll.etsy.com
http://thepixieknoll.blogspot.com
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby rosalin on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:36 am

I second the cheer..lol ;)
rosalin
Honored Poster
Honored Poster

Postby muts on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 am

pmsl! if it works youll have to bottle and sell it xx
»MÛ¯|¯£€¥«
Imagemaggie xx
muts
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby tryny000 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:43 am

At the beggining I was really sick about the dirt on the clay, I did everithing in my power to keep it out. With the time I have learned to hadle better the clay and keep my hands clean. When I have some small piece of lint in my clay I just use the kemper tool to remove it. I'm not suffering from this sickness any more.
The Practice make's masters. Never give up.
Blog: http://doll-tears.blogspot.com

tryny000
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby sachi on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:21 am

I was really going nuts about the lint when I started sculpturing, but now I just leave the tiny lint/dust because constantly picking it out even the tiniest pieces just made it worse or damaged the details.

What I do now is after I finish the head for example and before I bake it I remove the lint/dust with a soft brush (a tiny one) and a little rubbing alcohol. It's easy to remove from the clay that way. Works great for me.
sachi
Fledgling Poster
Fledgling Poster

Postby Toneth on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 am

WoooHoooo !

Most of my supplies have turned up today

Now I can get on with the construction of my Nuclear-Atomic-Microsonic-Dirt-Lint-dust-busting-Cosmic-Force-Field-Machine ! :-D

And then test it :smug:
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Toneth on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am

Well, I have been constructing for about 3 hours now and am about 80% complete.

I can say at this stage my concept is looking good and seems to work better than I first anticipated 8)

I'll post up my test results in the next day or two along with some photos. :wink:
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: The WAR on dirt & lint - 99.9% CURED !

Postby Toneth on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 am

Air purifiers work using an electrostatic charge on metal plates. Air circulates through it and as the air passes over the charged plates, any dust or spores or other floating debris should be captured by the electrostatic charge, but not all the time.

My Nuclear-Atomic-Microsonic-Electrostatic-Dirt-Lint-dust-busting-Cosmic-Force-Field-Machine ( Real name to be arranged ! ) works in a similar way, only you don't have to plug it into the mains and is pretty cheap to construct.

Please bare in mind that this is my "concept" and will not suit every sculpting situation. I am also still playing around with shape and size but what I have so far seems to work well.

After testing to see if it actually works, I can honestly say that I am very happy with it so far but still have a few adjustments to make.

I have also discovered a way to connect the acrylic sections very easily using 90 degree plastic angles and spot gluing them together.

Anyway, Here's how it works...

Acrylic is a prolific static generator. The back-and-forth motion of wiping an acrylic surface with a dry cloth creates positive and negative surface charges that attract and hold small particles. Even laminar airflow may be enough to create these surface charges.

The resulting static cling makes it nearly impossible for the dust and lint to fall off from the charged surfaces without the use of ionizing equipment or frequent cleaning with special anti-static solutions.

So the area covered by the acrylic box is acting like a dust and lint magnet. Any drifting dust and lint will get drawn to the clear acrylic instead of your sculpting work.

When you have finished your sculpting and it's safely been baked then all you need to is wipe the box inside and out with a damp cloth, and when you want to start sculpting again just charge it back up using a dry cloth :)

Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Linda Ehrenfried on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:00 am

that is so true. I have noticed that the acrylic doors on my show case are always covered with dust long before the glass ones. How interesting. I have a candy display with a sneeze guard that looks something like that left over from my store. I wonder if it will do the same thing. HMMMMM great idea.
Lori, that cheer was hysterical. Two cheers for the cheer. LOL
Toneth .Nuclear-Atomic-Microsonic-Dirt-Lint-dust-busting-Cosmic-Force-Field-Machine ! Thats quite a mouthful. But a great concept.
Morphing a ball of clay and wire into something beautiful is magical. It puts a bright light in my heart to see what my otherwise clumsy hands have created.
Linda Ehrenfried
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks very much.

Yes if you already have an Acrylic or Perspex box that is big enough then I'm sure you could convert it to suit your needs.
All you need to do when you are done is charge it up by rubbing it with a dry cloth or even your sleeve will do :wink:

You may need to adapt your sculpting technique a little because you are sculpting within a box.

DO NOT HAVE AN ACRYLIC FLOOR though, else that will attract dust and lint too. I'm my picture I use a glass cutting board.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Toneth on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 am

Here is an example of how powerful the static pull is. The hair on my baby has been styled using extra firm hold styling gel :grin:

Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby tryny000 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

:crazy: :crazy: OMG!!!!!!!!! Oh boy... you have been busy!!!! What a wonderful idea you had! It looks really practical, and easy to make. That picture with the baby shows perfectly the great static effect! Thank you so much for sharing, dear!!!
The Practice make's masters. Never give up.
Blog: http://doll-tears.blogspot.com

tryny000
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 am

To cut Acrylic/Perspex all you need is a box cutter knife and a ruler. I use a metal ruler and score along my cutting line using my knife about 10 times and then snap it at the edge just like cutting glass. File and sand any edges that need smoothing.

Easy-peazy-lemon-squeezy !! :smug:

I made this using 3mm and 2mm acrylic, but I wish I used all 3mm for all of it because thats not so flimsy.

I am making a new version of my now called ( Electro-Static Sculpting Tent ) and will be using 3mm Acrylic only and with slightly different measurements. V2 will be much better and stronger.

When I've completed my final version then I will upload instructions and measurements so people can make their own or I may even make a few up and flat-pack them for sale for those people who may find it difficult to make their own.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby muts on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm

aaaaaaaw your baby is goooooooorgeous i prefer him with his 'fluffy' hair though
»MÛ¯|¯£€¥«
Imagemaggie xx
muts
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Tony, this is a super idea! And, it really does show how well it works just from the static on the baby's hair. What a great idea you had here. You are so wonderful for sharing it with everyone. :-)
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 am

I have decided to run some more experiments. I have no scientific way of measuring the amount of static charge built up inside the sculpting tent so am attempting to time the static charge instead to see how long it lasts.

I have already found that it is best to only rub the outside of the tent to charge it.

I have also placed a flat piece of flesh clay inside the Electro-Static Sculpting Tent on my glass chopping board. I will leave it there for 3 days to see if any dirt, dust or lint lands on it. Without the tent the clay would be totally covered in dust within 3 days under normal circumstances :grin:

V1 of my sculpting tent has an open front and I have also placed it 5 feet from my living room door which pushes dust toward my sculpting area every time it is opened and closed, which is a lot in my house ( Kids !! :crazy: )

So this should be a good test.

--------------------------

My static charge experiment finished and I concluded that there was still some electro-static charge on the acrylic tent after 10 hours. :)

This was found out by placing my baby inside the tent like before and as seen in the photo a few posts back and rubbing the tent to build up charge. After approximately 10 hours the hair was still sticking out but not quite as stiff.

I also rubbed the outside of the tent again about 6 times on the closest panel and the hair immediately stood back up again.

The second experiment is still on going. There is a piece of clay inside the tent and another outside. Lets see which one comes off the worst :-P
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:23 am

This is a great experiment, Tony. If I didn't know any better, you are having a great time running these test. Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde at his very best! muahahahahaaa Love to read about your experiment once you have finished this. I would bet, you will see that the tent does a very fine job at keeping particles from the clay vs. how the lump of clay on the outside will fair at the end of your experiment. :-)

Hugs,
Lori
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 am

I just had to move the piece of clay I had on the outside of my tent because it was too close to the Acrylic :clown:

It was about 8 inches from the tent but the dust particles were still getting drawn to the Acrylic which would give me false readings on that piece !! :crazy:

So now I've moved it a good few feet away.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Tiny Wonders on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

Great idea, thanks for sharing. Sounds like your having fun running the experimants.

Nia
x
Tiny Wonders
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Toneth on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:52 am

Version 2 has a much shorter front panel. In fact it's practically open fronted giving you the option to either sculpt with your eyes directly on your work or under the screen.

Obviously this concept depends on what you are sculpting and to some degree how you sculpt, but for me it's perfect because I only sculpt small things or parts of bigger sculpts in stages.

With this you are basically just placing an electro-statically charged force field around your sculpt while you work on it in order to pull away floating dust and lint from your work. The size and shape of the Electro-Static Sculpting Tent can be anything you want to suit your sculpting needs.

I believe that this concept would still work even if your tent only had a back, two sides and a top leaving it completely open fronted. Once statically charged the acrylic would still pull any floating debris away from what you are sculpting.

If I can get my camera to take an in focus photo of some close ups of my latest experiment then I will demonstrate how my sculpting tent compares to not having it.

Here we go :)

I have left this piece of clay in the tent for about a day and a half. I have also left another piece of clay on my computer desk which is where I sculpt.

This picture shows the piece of flattened clay from my sculpting tent.

This photo shows the other piece of clay that has been sitting on my desk

Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 am

You can definately see the lint pieces in the 2nd piece of flattened clay. Those little devils...I'd be picking them out here and there and everywhere! LOL Looks like your concept works wonders!

Hugs,
Lori
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Jules_NZ on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:50 pm

What a great concept
You could also add a hook from the center of the ceiling to hang your sculpts from

From what you are saying it seems pretty powerful, so perhaps for ease of use you could have the front panel on a hinge, so you could swing it upwards and out of the way when sculpting. But then when you are not working on the piece it could be lowered back down for the extra protection

Awesome idea though :)
Jules_NZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Toneth on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 pm

My supplies for version 2 will be delivered tomorrow. V2 will have a much shorter front panel and I will be adding a "slide in" vertical front panel which will enclose the whole thing in for when you are not working on your sculpt.

Incorporating a hook in the centre is a good idea as long as it's plastic. NO metal allowed unless you want lots of little static shocks !! :nah:

I was also thinking of adding a built in magnifying glass into the corner of the front panel for extra close up work.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby fabrags on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 am

If you decide to sell these as flat packs I would be more than happy to be a customer!!

Susan x
fabrags
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Toneth on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 am

fabrags wrote:If you decide to sell these as flat packs I would be more than happy to be a customer!!

Susan x

I am looking into this as we speak. I have some supplies arriving today so I can build version 2 and perfect it some more.

I am also visiting a plastics manufacturer today to see about getting every thing pre-cut. I think that the biggest problem would be shipping because I am from the UK and international shipping would be expensive. This is why I will be posting up my plans and measurements with instructions as well.
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Toneth on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:39 am

Here is the link to version 2 on my Electro-Static Sculpting Tent. Plans and instructions are included.

http://www.ooakdollart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4659
Toneth
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Return to Sculpting Q & A