Need some Advice

Ask sculpting questions about polymer clays here

Need some Advice

Postby mslate on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:47 pm

I would like to sculpt fairy ears to attach to avinyl reborn doll? What would be the best clay (I prefer to use Airdry) to use, and what would be the best method to use to get them to attach to the vinyl? I would me most grateful to anyone who would lend an assist :-D
mslate
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Need some Advice

Postby Tiny Wonders on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with vinyl dolls. If I was to give it a try I would use polymer clay ,I would sand the vinyl ear with sand paper to help the clay attach to the vinyl and build the fairy ear on top of the existing ear blending the clay to avoid any obvious joins.
Hopefuly some one else will have some advise.

Nia
x

ps. I would always try out my experiments on old toy dolls to see if it works.
Tiny Wonders
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby PixieKnoll on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:38 am

I would definitely try the experiment on an old doll first to see if it would work. I would hate to waste a head on something that didn't.

My thought would be this: can the reborn head withstand a high bake temperature for about 15 mins? If it can, then I would use the polymer clay as this will probably give you a smooth transition from the clay to the vinyl. Of course, like Nia said, you would probably want to sand down the area to roughen the surface up first, then, spread TLC over that sanded area where the clay is to be applied and then, add the clay, shape and bake. That is all that would need be done.

Now, the other option would be to use the air dry clay. Which, you probably will be able to get a good blend from vinyl to clay if you smooth it down and your paint will cover it well. As for the attachment, again, I would probably sand down the area first, then you can use elmer's glue to the area after it's been sanded, then add your paper clay to the desired shape and let dry; within a weeks time it should be completely dry and ready for painting.

Hope this helps,
Lori
There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the imagination that brings forth another.
http://www.thepixieknoll.com
http://www.pixieknoll.etsy.com
http://thepixieknoll.blogspot.com
PixieKnoll
Cherished Poster
Cherished Poster

Postby Inge on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 pm

I would use apoxy clay, you donot need to bake it and you have a sculpt windown of about 2 hours before it sets. That is what they use in the BJD world. and i know it will hold on to the vinyl.
Inge
Post-a-holic
Post-a-holic

Postby Tenderspirit on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Mslate: I know there was a tutorial at scristdolls.com quite awhile ago, there was a reborn artist there that showed people how to make the ears but she used a two part mixed clay that you did not have to bake, and it was quite pricey I know I bought it and you end out with a half gallon I think and I think it was about 40.00 and not sure if that included shipping, but to be honest I never tried it yet and it has been about a year. ROFL You might be able to do a search on there dunno. But I know she showed how she actually used it and formed it to and if I am not mistaken inside the vinyl ear. I would be very careful if you have to bake the clay, as I was so dumb when I started I baked one doll at 275 degrees for 15 minutes and it melted together. ROFL I can laugh now, but that was my first try at reborning, and the dumb doll had a hole in the top of the head and I thought I could use polymere clay to fill it, what a joke that was. LOL I did not know anything about clay and thought it would dry like vinyl, not hard as a rock, so you can't root in it. Boy the things you learn through heartbreak and experience. LOL
If you want to know the actual name of the clay she suggested I can try and find the bottles. I have soooooo much stuff between all my crafts that I have a hard time finding anything.

I would suggest taking Inge's advice and making sure that you actually go down into the hole in the vinyl too so your clay fills the hole then you remake the hole a bit smaller than the origional as I am thinking that will create more area to bond to the clay and make it less likely to shift or break off. But I have never done it so take my advice with a grain of sand. :rotfl:

Not sure if this was the same one I found but I found this tutorial for you using sculpy maybe it will help, you need to scroll down past the article for the actual tut. Hugshttp://www.secristdolls.com/a_fairy_good_idea
Hugs Tenderspirit
Tenderspirit
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Wentworth on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:58 am

[img]http://2079realms.com/images/广告位2013.7.27.jpg[/img]

[2079Realms]
Ball Jointed Doll Accessories Wholesale

We are the most centralized product wholesale supplier of the doll accessories in the world,[2079Realms]. We have our own production factory, meets doll's each kind of fitting manufacture need.
There are all kinds of accessories products for dolls: Wig, Shoes, Hat, Bag, Furniture, Musical instrument, Watch and so on. Welcome to have the interest buyer wholesale. Minimum order quantity is 10. Order quantity for each product the greater the more preferential prices. Prices as low as $0.50.

1) We accept BANK TRANSFER for the payment.
2) Our products have good quality and cheap price.
3) We can do drop shipping, no extra charge.

Welcome to visit our site: http://www.2079realms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope we have long and good business together!

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us please. Any question is welcomed. Feel free to contact us: may@2079realms.com
Ball Joint Dolls Accessories Wholesale, Price starting from USD $0.99
Wentworth
Fledgling Poster
Fledgling Poster

Postby Sudsy on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Wow, another chance to share about boiling polymer clay!

One technique to consider comes from the world of action figure modification (yeah, I'm a guy who enjoys action figures, aka dolls for boys...). Boil your figure.

You take your vinyl figure, you use a polymer clay (Sculpy, Fimo, other similar clays) right on the miniature. You get your desired feature (ears in your case) and you then get a pot of boiling water going and stick the figure in it.

It works great for vinyl and PVC figures. I don't recommend it for anything with cloth or mohair, or other such materials that could be damaged. For those, consider the epoxies recommended earlier.

Video on action figure modification with polymer clay (note that in tests, boiling only bakes the top 1/8th inch or about 2.5 mm or so of polymer clay).
http://youtu.be/ApneIdLScrk
Sudsy
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Return to Sculpting Q & A